Monday 3 July 2017

Experimental Monday...

Good morning crafty friends

I hope you've had a good weekend and managed to enjoy the lovely sunshine?

This is going to be a busy week catching up with friends. My long-term friend has recently had a new beautiful baby boy so I've booked some snuggle time for tomorrow morning and then I'm having coffee and inspirational chat time with my very creative grunge friend John Glossop (click here to visit his blog). Wednesday is a very much needed haircut and catch up with another old friend and Friday I will be meeting the lovely Hazel for coffee and possibly some retail therapy.

So, seeming I'm just back in my craft room after a long absence I thought I would try out some technique backgrounds for my new journal.

Many moons ago I taught a class in which we created a faux leather grunge paper journal cover. I can't find the said item and don't appear to have pictures but I will try and dig them out. If not, I'll cover the tutorial another week. It uses Glazing Medium. Basically, it extends your acrylic paint working time and prevents colour shift from wet to dry. It is quick drying so can be layered easily and is relatively self-levelling. It dries to a completely clear flexible film with a high gloss finish. Note: this is water resistant once dry.

As I was experimenting, I cut a piece of grey board the same size as one of my journal pages and the techniques is as follows:

  1. Prime your surface with gesso so it won't be too absorbing.
  2. Take two throw away cups and add two colours of acrylics mixed with a little water (It should resemble single cream in consistency). Add
  3. some of the glazing medium to each of the paint colours and mix well to combine (the consistency needs to be runny).
  4. Start by adding a swirl of the paint mixtures to your surface and begin to twist to combine the colours - if your consistency is too stiff, spritz the surface with water then add more medium to the remaining paint mixes.
  5. Continue to twist and turn, adding small amounts of paint mix at a time until satisfied with the finish.
  6. At this stage, the surface will still be wet so you can add other mediums, for example, micro beads, gilding flakes, mica powders etc.
  7. You can also press into the surface to add texture. Experiment, use lids sequin waste and stamps. Basically, experiment and have fun!


Once your piece is dry you can add a multitude of mediums but you need to remember that the finish will be relatively resistant. Use permanent inks and texture pastes, oil pastels, distress crayons and inks will leave a little colour behind but it will not be very intense. The medium will be flexible once dry; having used grey board my finished panel feels like grungepaper.

This picture shows a close up. Can you see the mica powder? In places it has left the surface pitted, giving an interesting textured finish.

I will be back to show you how I've finished my panel soon.

Please leave a comment if you've enjoyed this post or given it a try.

Have a good afternoon

Hugs, Julie x

2 comments:

  1. Oooh need to mess with this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Anne, you're the first person! You're welcome to come over to my craft room anytime x

    ReplyDelete